Sunday, March 30, 2008

Learning can be fun!

The online resources that come with our Lewis book include Web links to lots of good additional information. People are always trying to explain complicated stuff in creative, new ways. I am grateful they do! Here's just a sample of supplementary information you can find on the Evolve site:




HIV Infection Overview (from Cell's Alive!) with animations and video clips

Cell-mediated and humoral immunity - includes a good visual of different types of cells

Immune System Defender Game - well-done, and fun!

Cartoon-like illustrations - from NobelPrize.org - the cells in the immune system with clear, simple descriptions. Highly recommended for anyone who's having trouble picturing things (like me!).

Tootsie Pops = viruses: an immunologist's "dumbed-down" description of the cells of the immune system and HIV. (Not too dumbed down for me, though. I need this sort of thing to reach those occasional "aha" moments!)

2 comments:

Trina Eagal said...

i'm with you. the dumbed down versions are very helpful to me. I especially like the fruit tray and ppl acting like macrophages. Oh the nerdery of it all. I guess I can relate better than I'd like to admit.

Mother Forker said...

I love that word "nerdery." Who woulda thunk, just lurking under the surface, pure nerdessence!