Friday, September 21, 2007

Nursing From the Past

Here is a little something to show you all how far nursing and the nurse's role has come. My Aunt Bonnie took her CA State Nursing Boards on Aug 23-24, 1966. She was a graduate of Mt San Antonio College. This is an excerpt from her nursing book.

Serious Reader Note:
Nursing is a very demanding profession. To start with, nurses must learn everything a doctor learns, so that whenever a situation arises that might develop into a mistake on the part of the doctor if the nurse did what the doctor ordered instead of what he meant to do, the nurse can distinguish the latter from the former and prevent the mistake from occuring. Then nurses must learn how to use this knowledge so that neither the doctor nor the patient is aware they possess it, for in the former instance, it might cause the patient to lose confidence in the doctor, and in the latter, it might cause the doctor to lose confidence in himself. Finally, if, despite a nurse's best efforts, things are not going well between doctor and patient, and the nurse can't patch it up, the nurse must take the blame.
Nurses are very patient. They realize their reward will not be in this lifetime, for to receive even a fraction of the recognition they deserve would be to lessen the importance of the doctor. Nurses often believe in reincarnation.

So there you have it, the 1960's view of nursing. Boy have we come a long way from that thinking!

5 comments:

Mother Forker said...

That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing that peek back to nursing's past, Bonnie.

Anonymous said...

I would be one depressed nurse back in the 60's.

Trina Eagal said...

With my strong opinions, I think I may have gotten myself "fired" by some doctors if I were a nurse in the 60's!
Bonnie, I may need to write an article about 'image of nursing', and I think this would be a great topic. Is there anyway I could get some information about that book?

email me: teagal871@students.deltacollege.edu

Bonnie Boss said...

Trina, I will have to ask my Aunt, she lives in Gardnerville NV. She gave me the original test paper and a photcopy of what I typed. I don't know if she still has the book but I will find out. I also have an old nursing book from the early 1900's and it is a real eye opener, I will have to share it.

Trina Eagal said...

Oh, I didn't realize that it wasn't straight from an old textbook. I'm sure I can find some information on the internet. It is such an interesting (and not that long ago!) phenomena!